Thursday, September 4, 2014

Refuse to let fear dull your light



“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?  You are a child of God.  Your playing small does not serve the world.  There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you.  We are all meant to shine, as children do.  We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.  It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone.  And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.  As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ~ Marianne Williamson 



       Have you ever felt like you just stand out no matter how hard you try to blend in? Have you ever been afraid by the brightness of your light? The quote above, touched my heart and says perfectly the answer to how to be an impact-- shine bright and not hide your light. It is often in facing the fear of standing out that we set people's inner light aglow and give them courage to let theirs out into the world.

 I realized this week that no matter where I go, people will see my light. They will see the glory of God that surrounds me. They will know something is different about me, because of the way I live my life for my God. My God who satisfies me completely and takes care of all my needs, who is my light. They will see that there is a different way to live this life, one that doesn't leave individuals feeling empty or seeking outside fulfillment. People see the brightness of my light through what I say, what I do, and who I am. So often times, I feel as though I have to be cautious of what I am putting out into the world.

However, saying that you may think well isn't that a lot of pressure
Truth is it is not easy to have your life under a microscope, where all your flaws and every action and corresponding consequences are observed and analyzed. However, what I have come to realize is that God prepares us and strengthens us. He gave us the mission to be light to the world to be the salt of the Earth. Therefore, He makes it possible. He does a work in us so that we are able to carry  We have all felt like our light has been extinguished at times. Life is full of dark times where it seems like there isn't even a light at the end of the tunnel. I've been there. But thank God he has been there to rekindle my flame. He lets his light swallow my darkness. He will do the same for you. 

My impact to this world has often at times been hindered by my fear to shine, to be as bright as everyone else so that I don't stand out. But this week I am seeing in action the power of standing out. The result of my standing out: others have been more courageous to do the same. People have seen my light through God's favor being demonstrated in my life. It has been shown through the way I trust him to provide and puts things in place, and through my love for him and by the thanks I give to Him. This is to say, it is often through the most simple things that we showcase our light. 

I often don't feel I deserve to shine so bright. I often want to dull mine just so people don't feel like I am more put together than them, or inferior to me. I am far from perfect, but God keeps blessing me and transforming me despite my own insecurities and the darkness that I often face. He has caused me to desire to make an impact and helps me work that out everyday through consistency and love. Showing people love whether its children, families, young adults, adults, or seniors, is a goal that I try to daily live out with God's help. He gives me what I need to do his will. 

I am one person out of many who refuse to let fear hold me back from seeing what God can do in my life and do in other lives around the globe. He has set my heart on fire and my light is shining ever so bright. See, you too can shine bright and face the fear of standing out. All you need to do is let God be your source, do things afraid, and remember having the courage to shine inspires other people to be brave and shine their light. That is how we have an impact, by giving God our feeling of inadequacy and our shortcomings and asking him to show us what he can do through us. He becomes greater when we become less. What he can do, well it may just blow your mind!

1 comment:

  1. So encouraging and inspiring! I think you must be my long, lost sister...Lol. we think alike!😊

    ReplyDelete