Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ecclesiastes 2

I was reading in Ecclesiastes 2:10-11
Solomon expressed:

" Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart rejoiced in all my labour, and this was my reward from all my labour. Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done.
And on the labour in which I had toiled; and indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun."

This spoke to me, for often we find ourselves grasping for vanity, toiling and being rewarded for all our hard work. Whether, it is being a mom constantly cleaning and providing for her children, to a business woman trying to provide for her family. It can be a student trying to obtain a decent job and impress the employer. We all work hard to obtain things of monetary value. We all strive to work so we can afford necessities, luxuries, and things that bring us pleasure. There is no shame in this. Working hard allows us to feel accomplished, and allows us to be able to provide for ourselves, and our families. However, sometimes individuals, including myself put rewards and vanity before our relationship with God. We are all at fault. However, the Lord explained to me that he is the accomplisher for it is his hands that creates, designs, works to make a profit. For we are not alone. We are his workmanship, beautiful creations that he chooses to reward and bless. Vanity, and rewards will profit nothing alone. When we work towards getting to know him, we are not only rewarded spiritually but we also profit while we work, create, and live in our lives. We are his workmanship producing great works. It is only when our focus is on him, that we are truly rewarded and profit. Our work is not done in vain, He rewards us everyday. I just feel like vanity and work should be our secondary goals. Our first goal should be getting to know his hands, our creator, the one is our accomplisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment