Thursday, January 28, 2016

Storms, Fireworks and Sunny Days

First two weeks here in (Ntcheu) Malawi have been adventurous. I have already survived two huge storms that were loud and strong. I have slept in a mosquito net and even slept in a room with a gecko. The art of learning to speak with my hands is being improved as I speak the only Chichewa I know and explain what I want in the market. I have sat beside sweaty people in a hot bus and have even shaken hands with many strangers. Overall, I can say these first two weeks have been far from boring.

God has been watching over me and I am constantly reminded how blessed and privileged I am to be Canadian, and to be a Westerner. I have a running toilet at the compound, but in the village its mostly holes in the ground. Different kinds of foods or options for meals is a luxury that few get. All around I look and see poverty. It is blatantly obvious that I am not poor so many beggars ask for money all around me. It is tough to see but I know that this is the only way they may have a chance of surviving another day. It has been tough for Malawians who sell produce. They really need rain which God seems to be supplying. My heart has been breaking every time I leave the compound and I look at all the people who are slaving away in the hot sun just so they can have a meal at dinnertime for themselves and for their family.

It really puts things into perspective.

Fireworks came early in the day after a storm. We lost electricity for a time and when the electricity was turned back on the electrical lines started to smoke...and eventually sparks were flying. It was scary but we prayed and the sparks went away. Amazing how God always takes care of the little details.

Anyways, it's been hot and sunny with bursts of rain and I can say it truly does make the view of the mountain beautiful. I'll have to post pictures soon. But even still..they wouldn't do it justice.

I'll write again soon. I am safe and I am blessed.

Until next time,

Chantal

No comments:

Post a Comment