Saturday, January 1, 2011

Power of Our Words

Words are powerful. They can touch the core of who we are. Words that are spoken with authority can change our circumstances and our attitude dramatically. It can influence our thoughts and our perceptions of others. There are numerous amounts of words that people use everyday. Question is are the words that we speak bringing life or death? Are they showing Jesus in us or are we allowing our emotions to dictate what we say?

Letters often speak truth and words that have been unsaid for a certain amount of time. They can produce a positive or negative emotional response. They can uplift and offer encouragement and be a testimony of goodness and love. They also have the power to make our minds reflect and meditate on the things mentioned, until eventually confusion slowly enters into our hearts. What brought this topic on was a letter that I received from someone I care about. It revealed truths, hidden thoughts and emotional responses, and listed future goals in the new year. It was very difficult and emotional for me to read. It caused me to see this person differently than before. Questions like if only he said these things earlier? If only we had talked about them before making rash decisions? If only...
He voiced clearly that while we were together he saw something different inside of me. It was a testimony of God's love and passion in my own life that was passed on to this person and changed their perception of God. When he came to church with me he saw life instead of religion. He saw freedom instead of bondage. He saw love. It touched the core of me for this person's heart was revealed and for the first time I felt like I was unclear of how to respond and what to think. Has anyone been here before?

I know from experience and from my walk with Jesus that he brings peace and understanding when we need it. He shows us where we may have went wrong and offers correction. He carries us when we are weak, and in his presence there is no confusion just rest and love for all those who draw near. So when I received this letter a few tears were shed, but then I turned to my Heavenly Father and entered in and I received peace and rest. I am still unsure of tomorrow or the day after.
But thank God I need not worry for He knows my tomorrow. He provides for the birds in the sky and the lillies in the valley. He is my provider and He alread knows where I will be tomorrow.
{Reading of Matthew 6: 24-34}

The most precious thing in my opinion is that I can leave the confusion aside and have all the rest I need in him. It is hard to remember to turn to Jesus in the midst of emotional confusion and chaos. For the world says that emotions dictate where we go and what we do. However, as believers we have Christ in us that can not only calm our emotions and bring peace, but he also gives us a light unto our path which is in his word, that offers all the guidance we need. So I encourage anyone reading this including myself to look toward the book of life and draw near to Jesus in times of confusion instead of letting our emotions get the best of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment